About Me

My photo
I have an art degree from Rhode Island school of Design. My visual arts background has expanded into the healing and transformational arts. I am a life/spiritual coach and wellness consultant. I have walked the shaman's path. I practice and teach Eastern and Energy Medicine, Shiatsu, Massage and Yoga. It is my experience that the power of touch and movement can access ones heart, soul, inner truth, unique expression and creativity which is a vehicle to living a joyful and fulfilling life. My blog will include my poetry, photographs, art, insights, experiences and suggestions for living a life that you love! If you are new to this site, please review my older submissions as well as the new ones for they all contain information and concepts that I wish to share and keep alive.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Choose vs. Decide


Do you know the difference between to “choose” or to “decide”? Becoming clear on this distinction helps to bring clarity to my life and has been successful in helping many of my clients do the same. This is a concept from the eastern philosophy of life.

Lets look at the difference in the definitions of these two words to start.
Decision – To come to a resolution in the mind as a result of consideration, a determination, to make up ones mind. The Latin root of the word actually means to cut or kill off (De-off, cide-to cut) and is related to the words homicide, genocide and spermicide. That certainly gives you a new relationship with the word and something to think about! There is nothing wrong with making a decision. It is part of our human existence. Just be aware that when you are making one it is coming from the analytical mind. It is connected in part to the ego and attachment. You may not be grounded in a decision and may or may not regret making it. A decision may cut off possibilities in life. Now that you have this knowledge be aware of it.

Choice – the ability to select from a number of possibilities, to want or desire. To choose is an action that comes from the heart and the inner wisdom of the body. You feel it and know that it is right for you rather then think it and wonder. It has a different energy surrounding it then a decision. You are more grounded in a choice and do not regret that you have made it. There is a sense of commitment without attachment.

Next time you have a situation ask yourself if you are making a decision or a choice?” See if this distinction helps to bring clarity into your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment